45°30’12.7″N 73°34’30.2″W

By Nina Robertson

45°30’12.7″N 73°34’30.2″W are the geographical coordinates of a commemorative plaque erected in 1922 on the McGill Campus [Trigger and Pendergast, 1972]. The plaque reads:

Near here was the site of the fortified town of Hochlaga. Visited by Jacques Cartier in 1534. Abandoned before 1600. It contained fifty large houses. Each contained several families who subsisted by cultivation and fishing.

Read More